[Gluster-users] Questions about GlusterFS
Steven.Jones at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Nov 29 19:49:38 UTC 2011
Some of these questions are how long is a piece of string....
5. Munin might do what you want....its free and easy to setup/use.
10. For instance depends on your hardware and how much data....what sort of recovery, from tape? virtual tape? disk? etc...this is design.....you decide how fast you want to recover data, how many hours/minutes data you can afford to lose and design around that.
17. Do you have to run iSCSI? NFS for instance is very fast....certainly with iSCSI you will need jumbo frames, if you dont have switches/networking that do that end to end then iSCSI will not run very well. Again this is a design consideration.
19. Performance, there are some interesting videos on youtube....depends on what you want. The three open source, nil cost offerings are Freenas, Openfiler and gluster.....Ive used openfiler and Freenas as iscsi for VMware, freenas wasnt a good experience.....openfiler ran well...I am just setting up gluster now to test various items, VMWare and KVM will be 2.
Lots of this is really design based on what you want to do....and the features you need.
Technical Specialist - Linux RHCE
Victoria University, Wellington, NZ
0064 4 463 6272
From: gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org [gluster-users-bounces at gluster.org] on behalf of Aleksandra Rudnitska [aleksandra.rudnitska at sprezentuj.pl]
Sent: Monday, 28 November 2011 4:49 a.m.
To: gluster-users at gluster.org
Subject: [Gluster-users] Questions about GlusterFS
My name is Aleksandra and I am looking for storage solution for our company. For the moment we are comparing different options of file systems. In particular we consider to use GlusterFS but we need some additional information.
What kinds of support do you have? What are the terms of your service level agreement for 1 year and more?
Also we would like to know some additional information about technical features of GlusterFS:
1. What are size limit of your storage solution:
* maximum size of storage,
* maximum file size,
* maximum number of files
* maximum number of clients using files
2. How many chunks/storage servers can be used simultaneously?
3. What is the maximum number of metadata servers?
4. How can we monitor performance of GlusterFS?
5. Is GlusterFS S3 compatible?
6. Does GlusterFS have support for POSIX? (eg. rights, locks)
7. What about ACLs - do you support them ?
8. Do you have quota support?
9. Where can we find your roadmap?
10. If we lose data, is there the possibility to recover it and how fast is it possible to do it?
11. Can you give us some numbers about the maximum level of replication we can use with your storage?
12. Is GlusterFS geographically aware? (eg. if we have 2 data centers can we assure replication between them ?)
13. Is there any Single Point of failure at GlusterFS?
14. Do you have deduplication ?
15. What is the maximum production instalation you provide support for (capacity, number of machines/disks)
16. Can we use GlusterFS as a storage for VMware/Xen/KVM virtualmachines?
17. Can we use GlusterFS as an iSCSI?
18. Is it possible to use GlusterFS with Windows clients?
19. Do you have any performance comparison for other storage solution on the market?
Sprezentuj.pl Spółka z o.o. ul. M. Gorkiego 6/8 lok. 11 92-525 Łódź
Sąd Rejonowy dla Łodzi-Śródmieścia w Łodzi, XX Wydział Gospodarczy KRS nr 0000297708 NIP 728-26-81-083 Kapitał zakładowy: 50 000,00 PLN wpłacony w całości
More information about the Gluster-users