[Gluster-users] Can't set volume options: "operation failed"

Daniel Manser doenle85 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 13:15:04 UTC 2011

We've had some strange issues on our two-node replicated cluster
recently. Now I'm trying to reconfigure the network.ping-timeout
setting on a volume, which results in "operation failed":

gluster> volume info vol0_web1
Volume Name: vol0_web1
Type: Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: glu1.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
Brick2: glu2.example.org:/mnt/vol0/web1
Options Reconfigured:
network.ping-timeout: 1

gluster> volume set vol0_web1 network.ping-timeout 20
operation failed

The log message in /var/log/glusterfs/etc-glusterfs-glusterd.vol.log:
[2011-11-10 14:11:19.464338] E
[glusterd-handler.c:1900:glusterd_handle_set_volume] 0-: Unable to set
cli op: 16
[2011-11-10 14:11:19.465716] W
[socket.c:1494:__socket_proto_state_machine] 0-socket.management:
reading from socket failed. Error (Transport endpoint is not
connected), peer (127.0.0.1:987)

Has anyone an idea what might wrong here?
Daniel