[Gluster-users] small cluster question

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Nov 1 23:31:35 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of expanding a 2-node, high-availability cluster to 4
nodes.  Of course that means that my current approach to mirroring data
(DRBD) breaks, and I need to use either a SAN or a cluster file system -
and GlusterFS sure looks like it might fit the bill.

Two question:

1. I'm running a hypervisor (Xen) on each node, and my goal is to
support VM migration for both load leveling and failover.  As I
understand it, earlier versions of Gluster weren't particularly friendly
to VMs - with self-healing hanging client access.  Am I correct in
understanding that newer releases don't have this problem?

2. It looks like the standard Gluster configuration separates storage
bricks from client (compute) nodes.  Is it feasible to run virtual
machines on the same servers that are hosting storage?  (I'm working
with 4 multi-core servers, each with 4 large drives attached - I'm not
really in a position to split things up.)

Any comments, advice, suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman