[Gluster-users] ESXi & Gluster setup options

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu May 26 20:39:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 08:28:29PM +0000, Matt Temple wrote:

> We've been looking for a way to have HA for our VMWare datastore, too. (Our
> single server had a kernel panic last night and took down the VMs.)
> We're very much interested in a similar setup, using Gluster, but I have a
> question ... with Gluster NFS, don't you have to choose a specific address of a
> server to connect to?   And if yes, if that node goes down, how does VMWare
> respond?

Pretty much the standard thing to do is use a virtual IP address with ucarp
handling reassignment if the primary node goes down. I've yet to run that
through thorough tests to see if how transparent it is in a case of failure.
It's simple to set up though.

There are, of course, plenty of more complicated alternatives to ucarp in
the HA world - heartbeat, pacemaker, corosync....

Whit