[Gluster-users] ESXi & Gluster setup options

Matt Temple mht at mail.dfci.harvard.edu
Thu May 26 20:28:29 UTC 2011

Krishna Srinivas <krishna at ...> writes:

> Troy,
>
> Yes it would work, you can setup 4 servers in a distributed replicated
> setup acting as NFS data store for VMWare. If any one of the storage
> node goes down it will not be seen by the ESX hosts. Many users use
> this type of config for storage HA for NFS datastores.
>
> You can use SATA or SAS.
>
> Since you are using 10gb performance should not be a problem. Backend
> disks would be the bottleneck and hence you should experiment with a
> good raid setup to get maximum backend disk throughput.
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Troy Swaine <troy.swaine at ...> wrote:
> > All,
> >

> >    We are in the process of determining a virtualized infrastructure and
> > wanted to hear from
> >
> > current users of Gluster and VMWare. What we were looking to setup was an HA
> > ESXi cluster
> >
> > (2 heads) with gluster backend (4 bricks to start, replicated/distributed),
> > all backend connectivity
> > would be 10Gbe. Mainly the storage would be for VM images but may include
> > NAS files later.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Troy

Hello,

We've been looking for a way to have HA for our VMWare datastore, too. (Our
single server had a kernel panic last night and took down the VMs.)
We're very much interested in a similar setup, using Gluster, but I have a
question ... with Gluster NFS, don't you have to choose a specific address of a
server to connect to?   And if yes, if that node goes down, how does VMWare
respond?

Matt Temple