[Gluster-users] gluster 3.2.0 - totally broken?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sun May 22 09:06:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 13:27:38 +0200
Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> If you found a bug, and even more, it's repeatable for you, please file
> a bug report and describe the way to reproduce it.

Ha, very sorry that the project is not an easy-go for a dev. Creating
reproducable setups for software spreading over 3 or more boxes is a pretty
complex thing to do. And even if something is reproducable on my side that
does not mean it is with _other_ hardware and the same setup on the devs' side.
Drop the idea this can be debugged with the same strategy you debug "hello
world". I stopped to look at the bugs long ago because the software does not
give you a chance to even find out when a problem started. If you want to see
something where you can find out yourself about what is going on look at
netfilter. There you have tables and output in /proc about ongoing nats and
open connections (connection-tracker).
In glusterfs you have exactly nothing, and if you stop the replication setup
at some point you need to ls terabytes of data to find the not-synced files.
This is complete nonsense and not worth looking at it.

If you need input, how about reading udo?

"I already mentioned the bugs that seem to describe the same problems. I
really do not think that creating new ones describing the same problems
would help. Maybe the old ones should be reopened. These bugs mentioned in:
http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-May/007619.html are
basically the same.

Currently I really do not know how to describe/analyze the problem further.
"

?

> Initiating flame discussions is not really a good development model.

I did not start the topic, but I can well imagine the feelings of the first
poster. I was in the same situation more than a year ago and had to find out
that nobody cares to improve the fundamental strategy. And that people still
find out the same - months later - is the real bad news.
I have no doubts that we read the same topics with new version number in a
year.

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> http://wpkg.org