[Gluster-users] gluster 3.2.0 - totally broken?

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Fri May 20 09:15:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, 18 May 2011 13:16:59 -0700
Anand Babu Periasamy <ab at gluster.com> wrote:

> GlusterFS is completely free. Same versions released to the community are
> used for commercial deployments too. Their issues gets higher priority
> though. Code related to other proprietary software such as VMWare, AWS,
> RightScale are kept proprietary.
>
> We acknowledge that we have done a poor job when it comes to  managing
> community, documentation and bug tracking. While we improved a lot since 2.x
> versions, I agree we are not there yet. We hired a lot of engineers to
> specifically focus on testing and bug fixes recently.  QA team is
> growing steadily. Lab size has been doubled. New QA lead is joining us next
> month. QA team will have closer interaction with the community moving
> forward. We also appointed Dave Garnett from HP as VP product manager and
> Vidya Sakar from Sun/Oracle as Engineering manager.
>
> We fully understand the importance of community. Paid vs Non-paid should not
> matter when it comes to quality of software. Intangible contributions from
> the community are equally valuable to the success of GlusterFS project.  We
> have appointed John Mark Walker as community manager. We launched
> community.gluster.org site recently. Starting next month, we will have
> regular community sessions. Problems raised by the community will also get
> prioritized.
>
> We are redoing the documentation completely. New system will be based on Red
> Hat's Publican. Documentation team too will closely work with the community.
>
> *Criticisms are taken positively. So please don't hesitate.*
> Thanks!
> -ab

Sorry, this clearly shows the problem: understanding.
It really does not help you a lot to hire a big number of people, you do not
fail in terms of business relation. Your problem is the _code_. You need a
filesystem expert. A _real_ one, not _some_ one. Like lets say Daniel
Phillips, Theodore "Ted" Ts'o or the like.

Stephan