[Gluster-users] gluster 3.2.0 - totally broken?

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at gluster.com
Wed May 18 20:16:59 UTC 2011

GlusterFS is completely free. Same versions released to the community are
used for commercial deployments too. Their issues gets higher priority
though. Code related to other proprietary software such as VMWare, AWS,
RightScale are kept proprietary.

We acknowledge that we have done a poor job when it comes to  managing
community, documentation and bug tracking. While we improved a lot since 2.x
versions, I agree we are not there yet. We hired a lot of engineers to
specifically focus on testing and bug fixes recently.  QA team is
growing steadily. Lab size has been doubled. New QA lead is joining us next
month. QA team will have closer interaction with the community moving
forward. We also appointed Dave Garnett from HP as VP product manager and
Vidya Sakar from Sun/Oracle as Engineering manager.

We fully understand the importance of community. Paid vs Non-paid should not
matter when it comes to quality of software. Intangible contributions from
the community are equally valuable to the success of GlusterFS project.  We
have appointed John Mark Walker as community manager. We launched
community.gluster.org site recently. Starting next month, we will have
regular community sessions. Problems raised by the community will also get
prioritized.

We are redoing the documentation completely. New system will be based on Red
Hat's Publican. Documentation team too will closely work with the community.

*Criticisms are taken positively. So please don't hesitate.*
Thanks!
-ab

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM, paul simpson <paul at realisestudio.com>wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> we're using 3.1.3 and i'm not moving off it.  i totally agree with stephans
> comments: the gluster devs *need* to concentrate on stability before adding
> any new features.  it seems gluster dev is sales driven - not tech focused.
>  we need less new buzz words - and more solid foundations.
>
> gluster is a great idea - but is in danger of falling short and failing if
> the current trajectory is now altered.  greater posix compatibility
> (permissions, NLM locking) should be a perquisite for an NFS server. hell,
> the documentation is terrible; it's hard for us users to contribute to the
> community when we are groping around in the dark too.
>
> question : is anyone using 3.2 in a real world production situation?
>
> regards to all,
>
> -paul
>

> On 18 May 2011 14:54, Whit Blauvelt <whit.gluster at transpect.com> wrote:
>
>> From reading this list, I wonder if this would be an accurate summary of
>> the
>> current state of Gluster:
>>
>> 3.1.3 - most dependable current version
>>
>> 3.1.4 - gained a few bugs
>>
>> 3.2.0 - not stable
>>
>> So 3.1.3 would be suitable for production systems, as long as the known
>> bug
>> in mishandling Posix group permissions is worked around (by loosening
>> permissions).
>>
>> There has been a suggestion that stat-prefetch be turned off, and perhaps
>> that other, non-default options are better not used.
>>
>> Now, I'm not personally knowledgeable on any of this aside from the Posix
>> group problem. Just asking for confirmation or not of the basic sense I'm
>> getting from those with extensive experience that 3.1.3 is essentially
>> dependable, while 3.1.4 is problematic, and 3.2.0 should perhaps only be
>> used if you want to gain familiarity with the new geo-replication feature,
>> but avoided for current production use.
>>
>> Whit

Anand Babu Periasamy
Blog [http://www.unlocksmith.org]

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein