[Gluster-users] newbie questions + rpc_client_ping_timer_expired error

Chris Haumesser ch at luciddg.com
Wed May 11 21:56:52 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I'm trying to replace an NFS server, serving (currently) about a dozen
clients, with a gluster cluster.

Ultimately, I'd like to use gluster as read-only nfs to net-boot a number of
clients in my cluster, using something like openSIS. (Or better yet,
natively booting glusterfs, as I saw in the mailing list archives from last
year).

I'm having some trouble getting up and running.

First question: should I be using 3.1.4 or 3.2? I notice that 3.2 is listed
as the latest release, but the LATEST folder on the ftp server still points
to 3.1.4. Confused.

I have been testing with 3.2, both pre-compiled debs and my own build.
Particular to my nfsroot problem, I have created a gluster volume called
'kvm' and replicated it across two nodes, e.g.,

gluster volume create kvm replica 2 transport tcp util.office:/gluster/kvm1
admin.office:/gluster/kvm2

I then mount the volume on util.office:

mount -t glusterfs util.office:kvm /mnt/kvm

Then I attempt to use debootstrap to set up my nfs image at this mountpoint.
Deboostrap consistenly fails at 'Installing core packages ... ' and if I
wait long enough, I am rewarded with this terse nugget in syslog:

GlusterFS[1223]: [2011-05-11 21:32:06.376514] C
[client-handshake.c:121:rpc_client_ping_timer_expired] 0-kvm-client-1:
server 10.11.12.44:24010 has not responded in the last 42 seconds,
disconnecting.

I get this result whether using the pre-compiled debs or my own build (just
in slightly different locations). I am using all default options on the
volume at this point. The output of 'gluster peer status' on each end
continues to show that the peers are connected, and all other network
communication between the hosts seems normal.

The volume definitions produced by the gluster cli are here:
http://pastebin.com/W7R1n4UD, but they're using all default options.

I'd appreciate any guidance on how to move forward. I have read mention of
other users net-booting from glusterfs, so I guess I must be missing or
misusing some configuration parameter(s), or perhaps using the wrong
release.

Thanks!

-C-