[Gluster-users] small write speed problem on EBS, distributed replica

karol skocik karol.skocik at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:55:41 UTC 2011

Hi Vikas, Mohit,
  I should disclose our typical use cases:
We need to read and write files of size several 100s of MBs - the
ratio of read : write is about 1:1.

> What did you use to calculate latency?

I used http://www.bitmover.com/lmbench they have a tool "lat_tcp".

Numbers below are from lmbench tool "bw_tcp":

> Network bandwidths:
> dfs01: 54 MB/s
> dfs02: 62.5 MB/s
> dfs03: 64 MB/s
> dfs04: 91.5 MB/s

The setup is Gluster native, no NFS.

About the "Optimizing Gluster" link - I have seen it before, but there
are several things I don't understand:

1.) Tuning FUSE to use larger blocksize - when testing PVFS, we
achieved best performance with bs = 4MB.
It's hard to understand why it's hardcoded to 128 KB.
Also I have read somewhere else (referencing FUSE) - that larger
blocksize doesn't yield more performance.
I guess when transfering larger amount of data on network with
significant latency,
a lot less IO requests should result in higher throughput. (And it's
cheaper also on EBS).

Are those listed adjustments to FUSE kernel modules still applicable?

2.) Enabling direct-io mode
Does this work on current 3.1.2? :

glusterfs --direct-io-mode=write-only -f <spec-file> <mount-point>

also with --direct-io-mode=read-write ?

Of those parameters in "Setting Volume Options", could this one help:
- performance.write-behind-window-size - increasing 10-20 times?

Now, the raw block device throughput (dd if=/dev/zero
of=/path/to/ebs/mount bs=128k count=4096 oflag=direct)
3 measurements on server machines dfs0[1-4]:

dfs01: 9.0 MB/s, 16.4 MB/s, 18.4 MB/s
dfs02: 26.0 MB/s, 28.5 MB/s, 13.0 MB/s
dfs03: 14.4 MB/s, 11.8 MB/s, 32.6 MB/s
dfs04: 35.5 MB/s, 33.1 MB/s, 31.9 MB/s