[Gluster-users] How to use gluster for WAN/Data Center replication

anthony garnier sokar6012 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 09:11:24 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have done a setup(see my setup below) on multi site datacenter with gluster and currently it doesn't work properly but there is some workaround.
The main problem is that replication is synchronous and there is currently no way to turn it in async mod. I've done some test (iozone,tar,bonnie++,script...) and performance
is poor with small files especially. We are using an url to access servers : glusterfs.cluster.inetcompany.com
This url is in DNS GSLB(geo DNS)+RR (Round Robin)
It means that client from datacenter 1 will always be binded randomly on storage node from his Datacenter.
They use this command for mounting the filesystem :
mount -t glusterfs glusterfs.cluster.inetcompany.com:/venus /users/glusterfs_mnt

If one node fails , it is remove from de list of the DNS, client do a new DNS query and he is binded on active node of his Datacenter.
You could use Wan accelerator also.

We currently are in intra site mode and we are waiting for Async replication feature expected in version 3.2. It should come soon.

Volume Name: venus
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2 x 4 = 8
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: serv1:/users/exp1  \
Brick2: serv2:/users/exp2   > Réplica pool 1 \
Brick3: serv3:/users/exp3  /                  \
Brick4: serv4:/users/exp4                       =Envoyer>Distribution
Brick5: serv5:/users/exp5  \                  /
Brick6: serv6:/users/exp6   > Réplica pool 2 /
Brick7: serv7:/users/exp7  /
Brick8: serv8:/users/exp8

Datacenter 1 : Brick 1,2,5,6
Datacenter 2 : Brick 3,4,7,8