[Gluster-users] Gluster in a windows environment - Replacing MS fileserver?

Jonathan Collingridge jonathan.collingridge at msp.com.au
Sun Jun 5 23:34:14 UTC 2011

Hi,
Ive read just about everything i can find out there on Gluster, and
waded through a lot of the old posts on the user-list. I'm wondering
what the current state of gluster is for interop. with windows 7 clients.

I work for a company that deals with images - a lot of them are jpegs
around 2Mb and raw camera images at 14-20Mb. We generate about 4-6 Tb of
these each year.

Currently we use expensive (fibre channel disk) block based storage over
4G fibre SAN; attached to this is a Ployserve (a HP product now)
active/active cluster of 4 windows servers. All of this is due for a
refresh this year (Servers with faster I/O and 10GE network) and i'm
looking at all the alternatives, HP have an (IBRIX sourced) array with 2
front end servers, runs redhat, feature set similar to gluster....

I'm wondering you have any experience with a Gluster config, with a
similar workload? What about windows 7 enterprise clients - use NFS or
Samba?

I'm considering gluster nodes as HP DL180G6 with 25x 2.5" 300Gb 10K SAS
Drives in each (to keep the number of spindles up). A pair of 10GbE
cards for connectivity. Do you have any thoughts on this possible
config? If you were building a Gluster system from scratch with an
Medium/Large business budget, how would you do it?

Thanks for any help you can give with my questions.

--

Jonathan Collingridge
IT Manager

	MSP Photography <http://www.msp.com.au>