[Gluster-users] adding new bricks for volume expansion with 3.0.x?

mki-glusterfs at mozone.net mki-glusterfs at mozone.net
Fri Jun 3 19:42:37 UTC 2011

Hi

How does one go about expanding a volume that consists of a distribute
-replicate set of machines in 3.0.6?  The setup consists of 4 pairs
of machines, with 3 bricks per machine.  I need to add an additional 5
pair of machines (15 bricks) to the volume, but I don't understand
what's required per se.  There are currently 4 client machines mounting
the volume using the ip.of.first.backend:/volume syntax in fstab where
the first backend server provides the general volume to the clients.

Looking at some of the past mailing list chatter, it seems scale-n-defrag.sh
is what I need, but it's unclear as to how to go about this without
distruption to services on the other clients.  If I bring up a new client
server, copy the vol file and mount that vol using that volfile temporarily
to run the defrag, do I have to make all the existing clients also mount that
exact same vol file while this is running?  Or can they keep running on their
old volfile for the duration of the defrag?  The last time I tried modifying
the vol file by even 1 byte, on the backend that was serving it up, the
clients refused to mount it, so not sure how that's supposed to work in this
case?

Can someone please shed some light into what the correct process to go
about this is?

Thanks much.

Mohan