[Gluster-users] the console manager does not suppor change of volume type

Ingam Jiao spjiao at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 02:36:53 UTC 2011

Hi
the console manager doesn't support change of volume type on the fly.

My test environment consisted of two nodes: one's ip address is
10.4.0.151/8, the others 10.4.0.152/2.

I did as the following:
(1)ran the command "/etc/init.d/glusterd start" on both of the node,
everything was ok.
(2)created a virtual volume and start it. everything was ok.
gluster> volume create test 10.4.0.151:/mnt/test
gluster> volume start test
(3)added one more volume to the virtual volume, everthing was ok.
gluster> volue add-brick test 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
gluster> volume info

Volume Name: test
Type: Distribute
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 10.4.0.151:/mnt/test
Brick2: 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
Options Reconfigured:
diagnostics.latency-measurement: on
diagnostics.dump-fd-stats: on
(4)set option for the volume
gluster > volume set test stripe 4
the console manager didn't complain about. I was aware I had made a
mistake and tried to change
glsuter> volume set test strip 2

Afterwards, things went wrong.
(5) stop the volume and remove brick 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
luster> volume stop test
Stopping volume will make its data inaccessible. Do you want to
continue? (y/n) y
gluster> volume stop test
Stopping volume will make its data inaccessible. Do you want to
continue? (y/n) y
gluster> volume info

Volume Name: test
Type: Distribute
Number of Bricks: 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 10.4.0.151:/mnt/test
Brick2: 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
Options Reconfigured:
diagnostics.dump-fd-stats: on
diagnostics.latency-measurement: on
gluster> volume remove-brick 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
Usage: volume remove-brick <VOLNAME> <BRICK> ...
gluster> volume remove-brick test 10.4.0.152:/mnt/sdb1
Removing brick(s) can result in data loss. Do you want to Continue? (y/n) y
Operation failed

After checking "adminstration guide", I understanded the console manager
can't support change of volume type.

Ingam Jiao