[Gluster-users] gluster opens thousands of files on one peer

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Jul 6 01:28:20 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a two server gluster 3.1.5 mirror setup.

One of the peers is behaving very slow - load is constantly around 6-15,
and generally all connected clients work very slow.

As soon as I shut that peer down, clients are relatively fast.

What I noticed, that on one gluster peer, I only get around 100 files
opened by the gluster process:

# lsof -n|grep -c gluster
96

On the slow peer, it's hundreds, tens of thousands, and growing constantly:

# while true; do lsof -n|grep -c gluster; sleep 10; done
169934
170181
170363
170655

If I restart glusterd on that peer, it starts to grow again.

On both peers, I have a big number of such entries:

[2011-07-06 03:22:00.20873] W [server-resolve.c:556:server_resolve]
0-gluster-data-server: pure path resolution for /some/path/.../file (LOOKUP)

Where the path is a symbolic link to the gluster mount.

The unaffected peer has these entries in the log as well:

[2011-07-06 03:23:30.117245] E [posix.c:3672:do_xattrop]
0-gluster-data-posix: getxattr failed on /some/path/.../file while doing
xattrop: Numerical result out of range

Other than that, I don't really see anything unusual in the logs.

Why is gluster on one of the peers opening so many files?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org