[Gluster-users] Issues with adding a volume with glusterfs 3.2.1

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Fri Jul 1 13:01:12 UTC 2011

Hi Carl.

I was similarly confused at first when I did the exact same thing as you - adding two additional server/bricks to an existing Distributed-Replicate volume. Here's the thing - you specified "replica 2" when you created the volume - that means that two replicas will be kept, and only two. Going forward after adding bricks 3 and 4, those replicas will on either the first pair of bricks (Brick1 and Brick2) or the second pair of bricks (Brick3 and Brick4).  What happens when you add bricks to a Distributed-Replicate volume such as yours is that the Distribute part kicks in, and "distributes" the files amongst the mirror (replica) pairs given above.

Clear as mud? :-)

James Burnash
Unix Engineer
Knight Capital Group