[Gluster-users] sometimes connection errors - glusterfs limit?

Markus Fröhlich markus.froehlich at xidras.com
Thu Jan 27 16:03:18 UTC 2011

hi!

problem description:

1-3 times a day glusterfs seems to hang - like freezed - network traffic is a few secounds again
zero, because there is no glusterfs communication.
in the log of the servers, that clients got disconnected and a little bit later connected again
but the network traffic seems okay and is not at limit - there are no errors on the networkinterfaces.
we also checked cables and switchports on the switches.

we think that glusterfs in combination with the I/O is the bottleneck here.
average we can say the storage setup is in use with 2/3 read and 1/3 write operations.

is there a limitation of volumes, clients, mounts etc. in the glusterfs code?
has some one made similar experience or troubles with such a setup?
is it possible that to much clients are connected to few servers?
has any one some tip for us?

-------------------------------------
our  setup:

two glusterfs servers:
  * areca raid controller with raid5 setup
  * 3 LUNs each 11 TB with 70%-99% in use with ext3 formated
  * SLES11 x86_64
  * glusterfs V 3.0.7

45 - 50 glusterfs client servers:
  * SLES10, SLES11, SLES11 SP1
  * glusterfs V 3.0.7
  * all VOLs client replicated to the both glusterfs servers
-----------------------------------

volume files:

server export vols look like this - some options differ:
--
volume posix
   type storage/posix

volume locks
   type features/locks
   subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume ksc
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 16
   subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume server
   type protocol/server
   option transport-type tcp
   option transport.socket.listen-port 7025
   option auth.addr.ksc.allow 10.0.1.*
   subvolumes ksc
end-volume
--
volume posix
   type storage/posix
   option background-unlink yes
end-volume

volume locks
   type features/locks
   subvolumes posix
end-volume

volume hosting2
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 16
   subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume server
   type protocol/server
   option transport-type tcp
   option transport.socket.listen-port 7005
   option auth.addr.hosting2.allow 10.0.1.*
   subvolumes hosting2
end-volume
--

client repl. mount VOL files:

volume vgfs-01-001-ksc
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host vgfs-01-001
   option remote-port 7025
   option ping-timeout 10
   option remote-subvolume ksc
end-volume

# distribute
volume distribute1-ksc
   type cluster/distribute
   option lookup-unhashed auto
    option min-free-disk 5%
   subvolumes vgfs-01-001-ksc
end-volume

volume vgfs-01-002-ksc
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host vgfs-01-002
   option remote-port 7025
   option ping-timeout 10
   option remote-subvolume ksc
end-volume

# distribute
volume distribute2-ksc
   type cluster/distribute
   option lookup-unhashed auto
    option min-free-disk 5%
   subvolumes vgfs-01-002-ksc
end-volume

volume ksc-data-replicate
     type cluster/replicate
     subvolumes distribute1-ksc distribute2-ksc
end-volume

volume iocache
   type performance/io-cache
   option cache-size 64MB  #1GB supported
   option cache-timeout 1
   subvolumes ksc-data-replicate
end-volume

volume quick-read
   type performance/quick-read
#  option cache-timeout 10 (1 second)
#  option max-file-size 1048576 (64Kb)
   subvolumes iocache
end-volume

volume trace
   type debug/trace
   subvolumes quick-read
#  option include open,close,create,readdir,opendir,closedir
#  option exclude lookup,read,write
end-volume
--
volume vgfs-01-001-hosting
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host vgfs-01-001
   option remote-port 7005
   option ping-timeout 20
   option remote-subvolume hosting
end-volume

volume vgfs-01-002-hosting
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host vgfs-01-002
   option remote-port 7005
   option ping-timeout 20
   option remote-subvolume hosting
end-volume

# distribute
volume distribute1-hosting
   type cluster/distribute
   option lookup-unhashed yes
    option min-free-disk 5%
   subvolumes vgfs-01-001-hosting
end-volume

# distribute
volume distribute2-hosting
   type cluster/distribute
   option lookup-unhashed yes
    option min-free-disk 5%
   subvolumes vgfs-01-002-hosting
end-volume

volume backup-data-replicate
     type cluster/replicate
     subvolumes distribute1-hosting distribute2-hosting
     subvolumes distribute2-hosting
end-volume

volume readahead
   type performance/read-ahead
   option page-count 16              # cache per file  = (page-count x page-size)
   subvolumes backup-data-replicate
end-volume

volume iocache
   type performance/io-cache
   option cache-size 1024MB  #1GB supported
   option cache-timeout 1
   subvolumes readahead
end-volume

volume iothreads
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 6  # default is 16
   subvolumes iocache
end-volume

volume quickread
     type performance/quick-read
     option cache-timeout 30
     option max-file-size 1024000
     subvolumes iothreads
end-volume
--

regards
markus

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Markus Fröhlich
Techniker

Xidras GmbH
Stockern 47
3744 Stockern
Austria

Tel:     +43 (0) 2983 201 30503
Fax:     +43 (0) 2983 201 305039
Email:   markus.froehlich at xidras.com
Web:    http://www.xidras.com

FN 317036 f | Landesgericht Krems | ATU64485024

VERTRAULICHE INFORMATIONEN!
Diese eMail enthält vertrauliche Informationen und ist nur für den
berechtigten Empfänger bestimmt. Wenn diese eMail nicht für Sie bestimmt
ist, bitten wir Sie, diese eMail an uns zurückzusenden und anschließend
auf Ihrem Computer und Mail-Server zu löschen. Solche eMails und Anlagen
dürfen Sie weder nutzen, noch verarbeiten oder Dritten zugänglich
machen, gleich in welcher Form.
Wir danken für Ihre Kooperation!

CONFIDENTIAL!
This email contains confidential information and is intended for the
authorised recipient only. If you are not an authorised recipient,
please return the email to us and then delete it from your computer
and mail-server. You may neither use nor edit any such emails including
attachments, nor make them accessible to third parties in any manner
whatsoever.
Thank you for your cooperation