[Gluster-users] Shrinking a volume

David Verstraeten david.verstraeten at elis.ugent.be
Thu Jan 27 12:20:32 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I currently have a setup with 30 distributed bricks running Glusterfs 3.1. Performance under heavy loads is not good, so I want to see if shrinking the volume will remedy this. However, it is not clear to me from the documentation how to do this with the volume online without data loss. It says in the documentation that data on the brick to be removed is no longer available (http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Shrinking_Volumes), how should this be handled then? Do I need to migrate first? If so, can I migrate the brick to be removed to an existing brick in the volume?

Does anyone have experience with shrinking volumes?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

David