[Gluster-users] Performance with small files (again)

Count Zero countz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 23:25:44 UTC 2011

In my opinion, you will only see this improved when GlusterFS WAN Replication is available. How on earth is this related, you ask?

Here's what I think is happening in your case:

- NFS is not a distributed FS. There is one host, an NFS Server. When you access a file, the standard getAttr() happens (you can also monitor it with nfsstat), and you then start getting the file data.

- GlusterFS is distributed! There is the case that your file could be re-written on any of the nodes in the cluster, that host this file. In order to make sure you get the most up-to-date file, when you try to access the file, GlusterFS will check with ALL nodes. The more machines you have in the cluster, in theory, the longer this might take.

- How this is related to WAN Replication? In WAN replication this process takes much longer because it happens on the WAN, and makes GlusterFS unsuitable for WAN scenarios. I know some work is being done in this direction, and I have a feeling it will greatly benefit LAN scenarios as well, where very small files are involved. I guess some sort of state caching on the clients will happen, or some of the checks will be skippable (by configuration), with some "eventual replication" being allowed.

Anyway this is all theoretical - I have no knowledge of the inner workings of GlusterFS.