[Gluster-users] Performance with small files (again)

David Lloyd david.lloyd at v-consultants.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 23:15:35 UTC 2011

So, we're trying to serve home directories, and some directories with
applications from our gluster cluster, mounting as glusterfs. This is stuff
we've done quite happily from nfs previously.

The main use of the gluster is to serve large image files and it's great for
that but the piddling little files that in the homedirs and applications are
much slower (~10x) than the previous nfs. This is measured as the time it
takes for the application to start, rather than anything low-level.

It feels to me that it's the same kind of thing that's been mentioned here
before, but it doesn't seem to have been answered.

Should we expect this behaviour?
Is there anything we can do to improve things?

We're on 3.1.1, haven't done much in the way of tuning from defaults.

Cheers
David

--
David Lloyd