[Gluster-users] ESXi & Gluster setup options

Matt Temple mht at mail.dfci.harvard.edu
Sat Aug 27 14:58:50 UTC 2011

Chris Haumesser <ch at ...> writes:

> The native FUSE client has built-in failover if you mount using the server
and volume name (e.g. `mount -t glusterfs server1:/foo /mnt/foo`). When
mounting this way, the gluster client downloads a list of all the bricks, and if
one goes down, automatically fails over to another available brick server.Note,
however,
that at mount-time, the client needs to be able to reach the brick server
specified in the mount command. You could use simple roundrobin DNS to
make sure your clients always reach an available brick.As others stated
previously, NFS failover requires ucarp or an alternative ha framework.Cheers,-C-

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM, paul simpson <paul <at> realisestudio.com>
wrote:i'm also interested in this.  is there any pro/con to using native
gluster FUSE client for xen images?  i would have thought that would mitigate
the use of ucarp (apart from initial connect).

<whit.gluster at transpect.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 08:28:29PM +0000, Matt Temple wrote:
> > We've been looking for a way to have HA for our VMWare datastore, too. (Our
> > single server had a kernel panic last night and took down the VMs.)
> > We're very much interested in a similar setup, using Gluster, but I have a
> > question ... with Gluster NFS, don't you have to choose a specific
> >address of a
> > server to connect to?   And if yes, if that node goes down, how does VMWare
> > respond?
> Pretty much the standard thing to do is use a virtual IP address with ucarp
> handling reassignment if the primary node goes down. I've yet to run that
> through thorough tests to see if how transparent it is in a case of failure.
> It's simple to set up though.
> There are, of course, plenty of more complicated alternatives to ucarp in
> the HA world - heartbeat, pacemaker, corosync....
> Whit

All,

   We just set up UCARP on our simple replicating 3.2 server, but when we
tried to connect to the virtual address as an NFS store from VCenter, the
connection was rejected.  When we used the real ip address of the server, it
connected.
Is anyone successfully using UCARP/Gluster with VMWare for storage using
NFSconnections.   Or are we just doing something wrong?   HA on the VMWare
storagefor the VMDKs is pretty important and automatic NFS failover would really
be terrific.   Doesn't NFS have to much context to simply failover?

(If this were KVM, I'm sure we'd be able to use a native gluster client, but
that's another story.)

Any help would be appreciated.   We could document all the steps to a working
example.

Matt