[Gluster-users] Performance

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Apr 22 02:23:32 UTC 2011

On 04/21/2011 08:49 PM, Mohit Anchlia wrote:
> After lot of digging today finaly figured out that it's not really
> using PERC controller but some Fusion MPT. Then it wasn't clear which

PERC is a rebadged LSI based on the 1068E chip.

> tool it supports. Finally I installed lsiutil and was able to change
> the cache size.
>
> [root at dsdb1 ~]# lspci|grep LSI
> 02:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E
> PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)

  This looks like PERC.  These are roughly equivalent to the LSI 3081
series.  These are not fast units.  There is a variant of this that does
RAID6, its usually available as a software update or plugin module
(button?) to this.  I might be thinking of the 1078 chip though.

  Regardless, these are fairly old designs.

> [root at dsdb1 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/big.file bs=128k count=40k oflag=direct
> 1024+0 records in
> 1024+0 records out
> 134217728 bytes (134 MB) copied, 0.742517 seconds, 181 MB/s
>
> I compared this with SW RAID mdadm that I created yesterday on one of
> the servers and I get around 300MB/s. I will test out first with what
> we have before destroying and testing with mdadm.

So the software RAID is giving you 300 MB/s and the hardware 'RAID' is
giving you ~181 MB/s?  Seems a pretty simple choice :)

BTW: The 300MB/s could also be a limitation of the PCIe channel
interconnect (or worse, if they hung the chip off a PCIx bridge).  The
motherboard vendors are generally loathe to put more than a few PCIe
lanes for handling SATA, Networking, etc.  So typically you wind up with
very low powered 'RAID' and 'SATA/SAS' on the motherboard, connected by
PCIe x2 or x4 at most.  A number of motherboards have NICs that are
served by a single PCIe x1 link.

> Thanks for your help that led me to this path. Another question I had
> was when creating mdadm RAID does it make sense to use multipathing?

Well, for a shared backend over a fabric, I'd say possibly.  For an
internal connected set, I'd say no.  Given what you are doing with
Gluster, I'd say that the additional expense/pain of setting up a
multipath scenario probably isn't worth it.

Gluster lets you get many of these benefits at a higher level in the
stack.  Which to a degree, and in some use cases, obviates the need for
multipathing at a lower level.  I'd still suggest real RAID at the lower
level (RAID6, and sometimes RAID10 make the most sense) for the backing
store.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO