[Gluster-users] strange error hangs any access to gluster mount

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Wed Apr 20 17:38:17 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff - thanks for responding so quickly - MUCH appreciated.

The fix I made was this:

1) From Amar:

go to any one pair backend and run below commands on the directories where the layout has issues:

bash# setfattr -x trusted.glusterfs.dht <directory>

[ pair backend means, in replica set's volumes ]

and then from the client machine (ie, where you have mount point), run below commands,

 bash# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
 bash# stat <directory> # through the mount point.

In this step, the layout will get fixed again automatically, which should solve this issue.

2) By examining the logs on every client (grepping on the keyword "Given" with the -B flag grabbing the line directly before, I was able to find out the last time the client had been restarted, and identify 7 clients that had the wrong layout. I believe that once they had been restarted, the self heal fixed the errant attributes.

I consider this problem fixed now.

Many thanks to Jeff, Amar, and everyone else who helped.

James Burnash, Unix Engineering