[Gluster-users] replica count documentation

Craig Younkins cyounkins at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 22:45:07 UTC 2011

> > > Assuming I have my replica count set to 2 with my 2 brick setup, it
> sure
> > > isn't strict. I've waited 15 mins after the write to one brick has
> > > finished before it was actually synced up on the second.
> >
> > There is no consistency level. Response will be returned to the user
> > after the slowest writes is done. Writes occur sync. to all the
> > servers in replica set.
> Something doesn't match up here. If it can take 15 minutes for a write to
> replicate to the second brick, according to the first comment, then it
> should take that whole 15 minutes for the control to be returned to the
> user, per the second comment.

You're right, and I think it was my fault. Say you make a volume like so:

gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 192.168.0.150:/test-volume
192.168.0.151:/test-volume

A naive person like myself would see the storage mounted at /test-volume on
the filesystem and think that they could write to it. I believe this is
wrong.

Someone please verify: You must mount the gluster volume on storage bricks
and access it through that mount point (eg /mnt/test-volume), and NOT the
"volume point" (eg /test-volume) which you declared when you created the
volume.

If this is the case, I really think having documentation that has examples
of creating volumes with targets such as /test-volume can really create
confusion.

---

Despite that I'm trying to work out the logic of how to put an HA KVM setup
> on a 2-unit replicated Gluster system.

Same use case here.

--

As for determining how many replicas a volume was created with, I've
discovered this thus far:

For a volume created without the replica param, gluster volume info shows:

Volume Name: test-volume2
> *Type: Distribute*
> Number of Bricks: 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: 192.168.0.150:/test-volume2
> Brick2: 192.168.0.151:/test-volume2

 For a volume created with replica 2, gluster volume info shows the
following. Note the type difference.

Volume Name: test-volume
> *Type: Replicate*
> Number of Bricks: 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: 192.168.0.150:/test-volume
> Brick2: 192.168.0.151:/test-volume

Now, if you are replicating, how do you know how many replicas?

Craig Younkins