[Gluster-users] iSCSI?

Anand Babu Periasamy ab at unlocksmith.org
Mon Apr 4 22:05:52 UTC 2011

I wont replicate my data with SAN.You carve multiple LUNs and
distribute it across storage servers. Setup UCARP or CTDB for HA and
you are good to go. Synchronous replication was developed to address
the limitations of DAS. If a server goes down in a SAN environment,
you can migrate LUNs and IPs to another available node. You can't do
that with DAS. Disks go down with a server failure. How ever DAS is
cheaper and simple when compared to SAN even with replication turned
on. Amazon, Google to Facebook replicate their data 3 times and still
claim massive scalability and economics. SAN has its own advantage in
terms of reduced power, real estate and cooling. It is backed by top
hardware vendors. DAS is going to be faster, easier and cheaper in
most cases though.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Michael McGlothlin
<michaelm at plumbersstock.com> wrote:
> I have a 10Gb dedicated network for data storage. Do you think it'd
> still be a problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael McGlothlin
>

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM, R.C. <milanraf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think this would be a great idea. Not just for the iSCSI targets but
>> for ESXi datastore use. When a GlusterFS brick fails and resumes, replica
>> reconstruction (given you use it), will eat almost the whole available
>> bandwidth, making ESXi fail writing to virtual disks.
>> I had the same problem in my test environments.
>>
>> JM2C
>>
>> Raf
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael McGlothlin"
>> <michaelm at plumbersstock.com>

Anand Babu Periasamy
Blog [http://www.unlocksmith.org]

Imagination is more important than knowledge --Albert Einstein