[Gluster-users] System Requirements (and mild rant re: lack-of-documentation)

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Tue Sep 28 04:14:01 UTC 2010

Jonathan -
I think this might be the first time I've ever been called a "critter"! :). All of your points are completely valid, thanks for the feedback. I believe we have addressed the Glossary and Technical Concepts requirements with the Introduction to Gluster document, I will update the wiki to include a link to the document, please give it a look and let me know what you think.
You would need to add a Linux server in front of your storage devices. You could add a single server and attach all 4 storage devices to it, but the performance wouldn't be great. That would be considered a single storage server. If you attached each storage device (1 SATAbeast, 1SATAboy, 2 FalconStor's) to its own Linux server that would count as 4 storage servers. Gluster would then present all of the blocks from all of the devices as a single 84TB NAS filesystem. (NFS, CIFS, DAV, GlusterFS, etc)

Thanks,

Craig

--
Craig Carl

Sales Engineer; Gluster, Inc.
Cell - ( 408) 829-9953 (California, USA)
Office - ( 408) 770-1884
Gtalk - craig.carl at gmail.com
Twitter - @gluster
Installing Gluster Storage Platform, the movie!
http://rackerhacker.com/2010/08/11/one-month-with-glusterfs-in-production/