[Gluster-users] Hardware advice?

Janne Aho janne at citynetwork.se
Mon Sep 27 08:06:18 UTC 2010

On 24/09/10 21:44, phil cryer wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Janne Aho<janne at citynetwork.se>  wrote:

Hi and thanks for all your replies and I'm sorry that I hijacked the
"linux raid0 vs gluster raid0" thread.

>> We are looking into setting up a glusterfs cluster to store VM images (for
>> KVM and VMware). Usually we have machines from Dell, but we haven't found
>> any good machine to use which allows a good amount of disk space and
>> possibility to have at least 4 NICs (we are thinking about using 10 gigabit
>> network, otherwise we need to bond and use more NICs).
>>
>> Sure we could buy just off the shelf stuff to keep the cost down, but we are
>> looking for having a good hardware support (to be sure if something breaks
>> down, that we will get spare parts).
>>
>> Does anyone here have suggestion on hardware that can do the following:
>>
>> 1. having iDrac or similar (remote access to console)
>> 2. at least 4 NICs which can be 10 gigabit (this for redundancy).
>> 3. have an architecture which is supported by gluster (with other words no
>> mc68k).
>> 4. having space enough for a good amount of disks or jbod that can be
>> connected to the machine (please no suggestion on Promise jbods).
>> 5. It has to be rack mounted
>
> We currently have six servers setup like this in our Gluster cluster:
> http://philcryer.com/wiki/doku.php?id=building_steam_from_a_grain_of_salt_-_redux
>
> We have more details if you need them, so far, so good is our experience!

Thanks, this was a great suggestion on hardware (and the best this far,
including suggestions I got at the listrefs maillist, when we looked for
using lustrefs).

Now we have to see what kind of price we can get here in sweden, as I
guess there will be a hefty shipping cost if ordering things from US and
the PSU will not be the right one for us.

--
Janne Aho (Developer) | City Network Hosting AB - www.citynetwork.se
Phone: +46 455 690022 | Cell: +46 733 312775
EMail/MSN: janne at citynetwork.se
ICQ: 567311547 | Skype: janne_mz | AIM: janne4cn | Gadu: 16275665