[Gluster-users] Tuning an NFS server running Gluster client

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Wed Sep 22 19:27:46 UTC 2010

Hello.

I am currently tuning a NFS server that is re-exporting the Glusterfs storage to clients on a different network. I'm trying to figure out if there is some magic ratio of NFS cache to Gluster client cache on the NFS server that will give me the best performance possible.

Configuration:

Glusterfs 3.0.4 client and backends
NFS server has two 10Gb interfaces:
        10Gb interface between NFS server and Glusterfs storage bricks
        10Gb interface between NFS server and client machines doing normal NFS mounts
        48GB of RAM

P.S. I am aware of Gluster's ability to directly export storage to NFS via boost/unfsd for this release, and that 3.1 will give even better capabilities. However, this is a client driven design at the moment, so the best configuration information would be appreciated, but I'm stuck with this configuration for at least the short term.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

James

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
NOTICE REGARDING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY Knight Capital Group may, at its discretion, monitor and review the content of all e-mail communications. http://www.knight.com