[Gluster-users] getting started

Daniel Mons daemons at kanuka.com.au
Sun Sep 19 23:19:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Charles Martin <cdmartin at gwu.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>    I am getting started with GlusterFS and am starting with the latest version of Ubuntu.  Is it recommended to use the standard or the cloud version of Ubuntu?  Is another OS recommended?

I honestly think the flavour of distro is rather irrelevant.   Gluster
themselves supply updated packages of glusterfs and the relevant tools
in many native packaging formats:

http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.0/LATEST/

I got my first Gluster test up and running on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04LTS
using the supplied packages, and upgraded to the Gluster-provided
binaries without any problems soon after.

As for Ubuntu itself, the only differences between "standard", "cloud"
and "server" are rather moot when it comes to something like Gluster.
And like many distros, it's just how they package it - you can install
a standard desktop Ubuntu, and at a later date replace the kernel with
the "server" kernel without any dramas.

-Dan