[Gluster-users] getting started

stephen mulcahy stephen.mulcahy at deri.org
Fri Sep 17 08:42:04 UTC 2010

Hi Charles,

I started using Glusterfs back in June. I initially tried 3.0.4 on
Debian Squeeze. We ran into some problems as detailed at
http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2010-June/004841.html (and
previous mails in that thread).

I note that it was a testing release of Debian which brings its own
complications, but I also note that Ubuntu uses a lot of the packages
from Debian. I also notice there has since been a 3.0.5 release.

But we did end up switching to CentOS for that GlusterFS 3.0.4
deployment and didn't experience any similar problems.

We're mainly a Debian/Ubuntu shop - but if you're trying things out, you
might want to consider doing an install on a vanilla CentOS.

-stephen

On 16/09/10 23:01, Charles Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>      I am getting started with GlusterFS and am starting with the latest version of Ubuntu.  Is it recommended to use the standard or the cloud version of Ubuntu?  Is another OS recommended?
>    Thanks
>
> Charles Martin
> Senior Programmer Analyst
> Academic Technologies
> The George Washington University
> 814 20th St NW Suite 306A
> Washington, DC 20052

Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland
http://di2.deri.ie    http://webstar.deri.ie    http://sindice.com