[Gluster-users] Usage Question

Daniel Mons daemons at kanuka.com.au
Fri Sep 10 01:31:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Arthur Taylor <ataylor761 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a simple question regarding GlusterFS's usage. Let's suppose I'm
> exporting a home directory via GlusterFS from a server to a few client
> machines. Is it ok if users login into the server to create and edit files?
> I'm not interested in using features such as Automated File Replication. I'm
> just wondering whether it is safe to manipulate files directly on the
> server.

As others have said, mount the gluster file system on each of the
nodes in the same location.

So for example, have your data bricks in /export on just the Gluster
nodes, but mount them up as /home on all client and server nodes
(auto-mount at boot via /etc/fstab).

This is the same way you would export Gluster file systems via NFS or
CIFS (Samba) if you only had one storage node to start with.

-Dan