[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.1 on Amazon EC2 Challenge

Gart Davis gdavis at spoonflower.com
Tue Oct 26 12:23:39 UTC 2010

This is -very- helpful.

So, if I understand you properly, I should focus on scaling -inside-
my EBS devices first.

What I should really do is create a gluster volume that starts with
-lots- of 125 gb EBS device (in my case, 32 to achieve 2 TB of usable
replicated storage).  I should rsync -a to this volume to ensure a
roughly even distribution/replication of files.  As the fullest EBS
device gets to 80%, using snapshot/restore techniques, replace them
with 250 gb EBS devices.  Next time 500, Next time 1 tb.  Then start
over again with 512 125gb EBS devices and another rsync -a, and
repeat.

Because Gluster is a zero metadata system, this should in theory scale
to the horizon, with a quick scriptable upgrade every doubling, and
one painful multi-day transition using rsync -a every 10x.

Does this make sense?  What are the gotchas with this approach?

Thanks for your insights on this!

Gart