[Gluster-users] I'm new to Gluster, and have some questions

Horacio Sanson hsanson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 08:52:28 UTC 2010

On Friday 22 October 2010 23:37:32 Daniel Mons wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Horacio Sanson <hsanson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Distributed volume:  Aggregates the storage of several directories
> > (bricks in gluster terms) among several computers. The benefit is that
> > you  can grow/shrink the volume as you please. The bad part is that
> >  this offers no performance/reliability guarantees as files are  stored
> > randomly among the disks in the volume.
> >
> > Replicated volume: Requires minimum 2 bricks in separate servers. All
> > files are replicated among the bricks. How many replicas can be
> > configured at volume creation. Has all the benefits of a Distributed
> > volume plus fail resilience.
> >
> > Stripe volume: Requires minimum 2 bricks in separate servers. All files
> > are splitted in stripes and these stripes are distributed among the
> > bricks of the volume. How many stripes and which size is configured on
> > volume creation. Has all the benefits of Replicated volume plus
> > reliability and can improve read performance for large files as the read
> > is distributed among several machines.
>
> 2 comments:
>
> 1) Stripe by itself offers no redundancy.  You mention that it has
> "all the benefits of replication" - it actually doesn't.  If you use
> only stripe and lose a brick, your data is corrupt (say you have 4
> nodes and 1 is lost, you only have 3/4 of every file stored, which is
> pretty useless to you).  Consider this something akin to RAID0.

Please correct me if I am wrong (surely I am) but somewhere in the
documentation about GlusterFS (3.0.x) it mentions the minimum  number of
servers required for stripe storage is four. I assumed this requirement was
because this storage would store the stripes in some sort of code (network
coding?) that would allow  the reconstruction of one of the stripes from the
other three in case one brick failed.

BTW: the docs on Gluster3.1 are scarse compared with the 3.0.x version. There
are a lot of translators and optimization stuff don't know how to configure in
3.1.

regards,
Horacio Sanson