[Gluster-users] New to Gluster. Question about Postgres on Gluster.

Christopher Hawkins chawkins at bplinux.com
Tue Nov 30 15:36:43 UTC 2010

Hi JC,

Use caution: Databases are not supported but they do work. I have not used PostGres but with MySQL, I've seen the following:

Version 3.0.x : works fine at low load. Under high load the glusterfs client process consumes near 100% CPU.

Version 3.1.0(qa9) : works great. Testing MySQL as a back end for a php web app shows that response times are about 35% slower than when MySQL is running on local disk (10k sata drive, gig-e as interconnect). I.e., 150ms response time turned to about 200ms. Hugely impressive considering the speed difference between local disk and a synchronous cluster filesystem! This ratio held true at low and heavy load. I pushed the app literally until the server was swamped and could not crash glusterd or glusterfs. Great job gluster devs!  :)