[Gluster-users] 2.0.8: server on tmpfs for small files

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Fri Nov 19 00:55:47 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 04:33 PM, Jeremy Enos wrote:
> Post is almost a year old...  ever any response here?  Is it possible
> to export tmpfs locations w/ gluster?
> thx-
>
>     Jeremy
>
> On 12/1/2009 8:14 AM, Alexander Beregalov wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Is it possible to start server on tmpfs ?
>> It is announced that stripe can be used over tmpfs, but stripe is
>> client plugin and server cannot start on tmpfs because lack of
>> xattrs.
>>
>> I am trying to setup a small fast storage for small files (compiling
>> purpose).
>> I made ext2 with xattr on ramdisk on 4 hosts, joined them with
>> replicate plugin and mounted it on one client. Also io-cache,
>> write-behind, quick-read and io threads  were used on client side.
>> I compiled linux kernel, performance was 10 times worse than tmpfs
>> exported by NFS on one node.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Servers:
>>
>> volume posix
>>    type storage/posix                   # POSIX FS translator
>>    option directory /mnt/ost        # Export this directory
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume locks
>>    type features/locks
>>    option mandatory-locks on
>>    subvolumes posix
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume brick
>>    type performance/io-threads
>>    option thread-count 4                # Four CPUs
>>    subvolumes locks
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume server
>>    type protocol/server
>>    option transport-type tcp
>>    option transport.socket.nodelay on
>>    subvolumes brick
>>    option auth.addr.brick.allow * # Allow access to "brick" volume
>> end-volume
>>

>> Client:
>>
>> volume server1
>>    type protocol/client
>>    option transport-type tcp
>>    option remote-host<IP>
>>    option transport.socket.nodelay on
>>    option remote-subvolume brick        # name of the remote volume
>> end-volume
>>
>> <the same for server[2-4]>
>>
>> volume replicated
>>    type cluster/replicate
>>    subvolumes server1 server2 server3 server4
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume iocache
>>    type performance/io-cache
>>    option cache-size 1000MB        # default is 32MB
>>    option priority *.h:3,*.o:2,*:1     # default is '*:0'
>>    option cache-timeout 1                 # default is 1 second
>>    subvolumes replicated
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume writeback
>>    type performance/write-behind
>>    option cache-size 500MB     # default is equal to aggregate-size
>>    option flush-behind off      # default is 'off'
>>    subvolumes iocache
>> end-volume
>>
>> volume quickread
> [...]

Jeremy -
    xattrs are required for any Gluster setup regardless of the volume
design, tmpfs doesn't support user xattrs. RamFS works well, if you have
the budget FisionIO cards are very fast and work well with Gluster, so
does the solution from RNA Networks. (http://www.rnanetworks.com/)

Thanks,

Craig

-->