[Gluster-users] GlusterFS on mailservers

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Tue Nov 16 04:29:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:17:48 -0800
Craig Carl <craig at gluster.com> wrote:

>  Please don't think we are
> not working hard to meet your expectations.

Really, Craig, I am not expecting _anything_ for _me_ from glusterfs.
I only feel very sorry for an interesting project that gave a great vision but
choose featurism over completely solving basic requirements of a fs, not to
mention trivial expectations concerning a replication setup - which should
have been a true strength.

>     At a higher level Gluster is changing, and I think improving based
> on feedback from the community, our paid subscribers and the storage
> industry as a whole. Designing and writing a file system that is used on
> thousands of servers in less than 3 years was, and is incredibly
> challenging, and expensive. Contrast Gluster with another excellent file
> system project, brtfs, which also has paid engineering resources and is
> still very experimental [1].

I really don't want to talk about btrfs here, because its problems are
unrelated to glusterfs problems.

>    Our community asked for a couple of things from Gluster 3.1;

Well, honestly, whatever the community asked, you managed to create the first
project I have seen in more than a decade that is not able to upgrade its
older versions because trivial deployment setups have just been _dropped_.
I cannot remember ever seeing something like this before. That is really
outstanding.

> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> -->