[Gluster-users] Online operations

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Mon Nov 15 22:03:56 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 01:46 PM, Anselm Strauss wrote:
> But you can not remove a brick without interrupting applications that
> access data on that brick, right? The documentation says: "Data residing
> on the brick that you are removing will no longer be accessible at the
> Gluster mount point." So is there a way of doing a "imbalance" so that
> data on the brick to be removed will first be allocated in the
> background and online onto other bricks?
>
> What I meant by splitting and merging volumes was motivated by a use
> case I often see, that is when you decide that certain data in a folder
> needs to be isolated onto a separate volume. This happens e.g. when a
> NFS volume needs to be restricted in access only to certain hosts or
> when one wants to avoid the interruption of an application by another
> one that runs crazy and fills up all space. Often I see that people
> first realizing this after the application is already in production or
> simply when the requirements change.
> For myself I always see this with ZFS. Data sets are really cheap and
> easy to do. So I start with one for the whole pool, then later when I
> see how the application really works I start to split up and set
> different properties (like quota, compression, etc.) for each data set.
> But when I do that later on I always have to migrate the data manually
> to the new mount point and interrupt the application.
> But I guess this is also a problem of the idea of mount points. How do
> you move data between mount points without interrupting access to it ...
>

> On 11/14/10 03:59, Craig Carl wrote:
>> Anselm -
>> You can remove a brick online, you can't change the type of an existing volume, if you could explain what you what to do with a 'merge' and a 'split' I could give you a better answer, you can 'split' a volume by moving half the data to another volume and 'merge' data by copying all the data from one volume to another, is that what you want to do?
>>
>> Parity based storage in a distributed file system is difficult for several reasons, we are currently investigating some possibilities with erasure coding and will keep everyone up to date on our progress.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> -->
>> Craig Carl
>> Senior Systems Engineer
>> Gluster

Anselm -
    I think you may be looking at older documentation, Gluster 3.1
introduced a migrate command, I think it exactly what you are looking
for -
http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Migrating_Volumes.
I think you identified the problem with 'spliting' a volume, the volume
name has to change so there is an application interruption no matter what.

Thanks,

Craig

-->
Craig Carl