[Gluster-users] setvolume failed (Stale NFS file handle) when volfile is changed

mki-glusterfs at mozone.net mki-glusterfs at mozone.net
Mon Nov 15 09:45:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 03:20:43AM -0600, Craig Carl wrote:
> > When the client volume file as supplied by one of the servers in a
> > distribute/replicate setup changes, my clients can't remount the
> > filesystem correctly. Turning on debug mode shows these messages:
> >
> > [2010-11-13 01:46:45] D [client-protocol.c:6178:client_setvolume_cbk]
> > 10.12.47.106-3: setvolume failed (Stale NFS file handle)
>
> All the client and server volume files must be in sync, having different
> client vol files on different clients will result in these types of errors,
> it is also the primary cause of split-brain, so please be cautious when
> making these kind of changes.

Thanks Craig!  On a related note, if that's the case wouldn't that mean
that adding new bricks requires that you unmount all the client nodes
first before you can even attempt to remount the filesystem on them? Or
is the typical approach to adding new bricks to copy the updated volume
file to the client nodes, and mount the filesystem that way until all
your client nodes have successfully unmounted the old config?

Thanks.

Mohan