[Gluster-users] Possible to use gluster w/ email services + Tuning for fast replication

Horacio Sanson hsanson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 02:38:31 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 02 November 2010 10:04:27 Rick King wrote:
> Ed, thank you for your response!
>
> >> Are you examining the second node directly, ie not by mounting it?
>
> This is an interesting question. I am just examining the 2nd node directly,
> it wasn't obvious to me that the 2nd node needed to mount the data from
> the 1st node. I was just merely expecting the data to be replicate to the
> 2nd node. So my rationale is thinking I should run the following command
> on the 2nd node:
>
> mount -t glusterfs hostnameA:/test /mnt

You do not need to mount the data from the first node in the second.  As I
understand GlusterFS  works on the client side. What this means is that you
must mount the volume in a client machine using either the glusterfs or native
NFS drivers  and then when you add a file to the mounted volume it will be
replicated to both nodes.

Writing directly on one of the server nodes storage (e.g. not through a mount
point) will also replicate the file eventually due to GlusterFS self-heal
mechanism but this will take longer to take effect. You can always force the
replication with the volume rebalance command that is what you are seeing.

I had a similar problem with data not being replicated even when using a
volume mount point and the problem was that the glusterd daemon was not
running in one of the nodes.  Make sure the daemon is started:

  /etc/init.d/glusted start

also make sure you configure it to start on system boot (it is not by default).
You can check the manual for details:

http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Configuring_glusterd_to_Start_Automatically

> The commands I used to create the volume from the server (hostnameA)
>
> 1) gluster volume create test replica 2 transport tcp hostnameA:/opt
> hostnameB:/opt
>
> 2) gluster volume start test
>
> 3) mount -t glusterfs hostnameA:/test /mnt

Again this third step is not necessary. Make sure the glusterd daemons are
running in all nodes and that you are accessing the volume through the
glusterfs client or native NFS client.

regards,
Horacio Sanson