[Gluster-users] 3.1: Multiple networks and Client access

Udo Waechter udo.waechter at uni-osnabrueck.de
Mon Nov 1 14:02:57 UTC 2010

Hi and thanks for the answer.
I think there is a bug/problem with gluster.
First some pre-knowledge

- our internal network does not resolve vie DNS.
- the internal hosts are only resolvable via /etc/hosts.

Now, my idea would be this:

1. on the cluster nodes, use the internal (bonding) interfaces for communication
2. the rest of the network should use the external interfaces to communicate with the storage cloud.

To achieve this, the idea was now to:

a) create the volume with the internal names
$ gluster volume create ... hostname1.internal:/exp hostname2.internal:/exp hostname3.internal:/exp

b) On all the (external) nodes, that should reach the gluster-cluster, add hostnam1...X.internal to /etc/hosts resolving to their external ip-address.

Now to all the problems:

Regarding point 1 above:
- when I add a peer with its internal name it works, except for the peer that I add the other peers from.
---hostname2.internal: $ gluster peer probe hostname1.internal
---hostname1.internal $ gluster peer status
Number of Peers: 1

Hostname: 10.10.33.142
Uuid: a19fc9d3-d00f-4440-b096-c974db1cd8c7
State: Peer in Cluster (Connected)

This should be hostname2.internal

When I do gluster peer probe hostname1.internal (on the host hostname1.internal) I get:

"hostname1.internal is already part of another cluster"
so here, ip/name resolution works...

this works in all permutations. The peer from which I do "gluster peer probe ..." always does not resolve to its internal name, but its ip-adress

As a result from all this, point a) can not succeed, since:

gluster volume create .... hostname... hostname... hostname... results in:

"Host hostnameX is not a friend", where hostnameX ist the host where the volume creation was attempted.

I have tried and installed pdnsd for the internal network, but this does not solve the problems either.

As a last resort, I edited /etc/glusterd/peers/* and replaced the ip-adresses by hand. Now, "gluster peer status" gives me the names instead of the ip-adress.
but "volume create" still tells me about the host (where I create the volume from) not being a friend.

Any help, solution is highly apreciated.
Thanks,
udo.