[Gluster-users] small files and cluster/stripe

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Fri May 14 01:24:50 UTC 2010

Jeff -
Thanks for your email, I think I've got a grasp of your environment now and I understand the problem. If we create a "/gluster/small_files" and a "/gluster/large_files" your users are unlikely to respect distinction, plus it is a management nightmare, right?
If you have time I'd like your help writing a feature request that would implement what you need. Something like -

Gluster should provide the option of distributing files based on size to different volumes.
This distribution should be transparent to users.
This distribution only needs to happen the first time a file is written.
The Gluster administrator should have the ability to provide a file size range for each volume.
The different volumes could be different types; mirror, stripe, mirror & distribute, etc.

What have I missed?

Craig

--
Craig Carl