[Gluster-users] small files and cluster/stripe

Craig Carl craig at gluster.com
Fri May 14 00:05:03 UTC 2010

Jeff -
Two comments/ideas.

1. If you are limited to four pieces of hardware, the minimum for stripe, and you want to stripe some of the data and just distribute other files there is a way to do that. Ideally you would use your hardware RAID controllers to create two LUNs on each host, one for distribute, the other for stripe. If you don't have hardware RAID you could use LVM2 or ZFS to achieve the same thing. (or you could use folders)
1a. Once you have two file systems created use glusterfs-volgen to create the vol files for the distribute export just like you normally would.
1b. Move the files you just created to the storage servers and clients.
1c. Re-run glusterfs-volgen this time for the stripe, adding the -p option and specifying a port. (something above 1024, not 6996).
1d. Move the files you just created to the storage servers and clients.
1e . Start Gluster twice on all the servers, specifying the different vol files.
1f. You now have two GlusterFS exports, one distribute, the other mirror.

1g. You can mount one inside the other on the client if that makes management easier.
There are advantages to this model, having two separate Gluster instances significantly improves parallelism on the storage servers. You can manage the two instances as if they are on different iron.

2. The use case for stripe is vanishingly small. If you have very large files (at least 2X the amount of memory in your storage servers and a minimum of 50GB) with very limited writes and simultaneous access from hundreds of clients then maybe stripe might be appropriate. Stripe was designed for a specific type of HPC problem solving, not general file serving. Our video streaming users don't use stripe, even though that is an obvious use, there are better ways to configure Gluster for that. If you could share the type of content/access methods/iops per sec we could make some specific suggestions.

Thanks,

Craig

--
Craig Carl