[Gluster-users] Best Practices for Gluster Replication

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Wed May 12 14:29:38 UTC 2010

Greetings List,

I've searched through the Gluster wiki and a lot of threads to try to answer this question, but so far no real luck.

Simply put - is it better to have replication handled by the clients, or by the bricks themselves?

Volgen for a raid 1 solution creates a config file that does the mirroring on the client side - which I would take as an implicit endorsement from the Gluster team (great team, BTW). However, it seems to me that if the bricks replicated between themselves on our 10Gb storage network, it could save a lot of bandwidth for the clients and conceivably save them CPU cycles an I/O as well.

Client machines have 1Gb connections to the storage network, and are running CentOS 5.2.
Server machines have 10Gb connections to the storage network, and are running CentOS 5.4.

Glusterfs.vol:
## file auto generated by /usr/bin/glusterfs-volgen (mount.vol)
# Cmd line:
# $ /usr/bin/glusterfs-volgen --name testfs --raid 1 jc1letgfs13-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs14-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs15-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs16-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs17-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs18-pfs1:/export/read-write

# RAID 1
# TRANSPORT-TYPE tcp
volume jc1letgfs17-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs17-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume jc1letgfs18-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs18-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume jc1letgfs13-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs13-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume jc1letgfs15-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs15-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume jc1letgfs16-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs16-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume jc1letgfs14-pfs1-1
    type protocol/client
    option transport-type tcp
    option remote-host jc1letgfs14-pfs1
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    option transport.remote-port 6996
    option remote-subvolume brick1
end-volume

volume mirror-0
    type cluster/replicate
    subvolumes jc1letgfs13-pfs1-1 jc1letgfs14-pfs1-1
end-volume

volume mirror-1
    type cluster/replicate
    subvolumes jc1letgfs15-pfs1-1 jc1letgfs16-pfs1-1
end-volume

volume mirror-2
    type cluster/replicate
    subvolumes jc1letgfs17-pfs1-1 jc1letgfs18-pfs1-1
end-volume

volume distribute
    type cluster/distribute
    subvolumes mirror-0 mirror-1 mirror-2
end-volume

volume readahead
    type performance/read-ahead
    option page-count 4
    subvolumes distribute
end-volume

volume iocache
    type performance/io-cache
    option cache-size `echo $(( $(grep 'MemTotal' /proc/meminfo | sed 's/[^0-9]//g') / 5120 ))`MB
    option cache-timeout 1
    subvolumes readahead
end-volume

volume quickread
    type performance/quick-read
    option cache-timeout 1
    option max-file-size 64kB
    subvolumes iocache
end-volume

volume writebehind
    type performance/write-behind
    option cache-size 4MB
    subvolumes quickread
end-volume

volume statprefetch
    type performance/stat-prefetch
    subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

Glusterfsd.vol:
## file auto generated by /usr/bin/glusterfs-volgen (export.vol)
# Cmd line:
# $ /usr/bin/glusterfs-volgen --name testfs jc1letgfs13-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs14-pfs1:/export/read-write jc1letgfs15-pfs1:/export/read-write

volume posix1
  type storage/posix
  option directory /export/read-write
end-volume

volume locks1
    type features/locks
    subvolumes posix1
end-volume

volume brick1
    type performance/io-threads
    option thread-count 8
    subvolumes locks1
end-volume

volume server-tcp
    type protocol/server
    option transport-type tcp
    option auth.addr.brick1.allow *
    option transport.socket.listen-port 6996
    option transport.socket.nodelay on
    subvolumes brick1
end-volume

James Burnash

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please immediately notify me and permanently delete the original and any copy of any e-mail and any printout thereof. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
NOTICE REGARDING PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY Knight Capital Group may, at its discretion, monitor and review the content of all e-mail communications. http://www.knight.com