[Gluster-users] Gluster and iSCSI

Keith Freedman freedman at FreeFormIT.com
Fri Mar 12 16:39:55 UTC 2010

At 06:57 AM 3/12/2010, Marcus Bointon wrote:
>I'm just wondering how gluster and iscsi might work together. I
>suspect that in many situations they could be used interchangeably,
>but how about them working together? If a setup providing a gluster
>AFR service was on top of remote iSCSI targets, would protocol
>overhead become a serious problem?

you'll have a number of performance problems here.  iSCSI is a
synchronous protocol, so even if you have an efficient filesystem on
top of it (zfs, xfs, etc.) you'll still have latency that would be
much worse than, say, NFS.
You should get better performance, however, than something like DRBD
or some other remote block device method.
Whatever you have providing the iSCSI targets should be write-cache
capable and whatever filesystem you put on top of the targets should
be write-cache aware.  These will help reduce the performance issues
you may experience.

It was already recommended, but you'll be better off running gluster
directly from your iSCSI target rather than using a remote iSCSI
target for a local Gluster store.

Keith