[Gluster-users] GlusterFS performance questions for Amazon EC2 deployment

Craig Box craig.box at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:26:48 UTC 2010

> OCFS2 is a shared-disk filesystem, and in EC2 neither ephemeral storage
> nor EBS can be mounted on more than one instance simultaneously.
> Therefore, you'd need something to provide a shared-disk abstraction
> within an AZ.  DRBD mode can do this, and I think it's even reentrant so
> that the devices created this way can themselves be used as components
> for the inter-AZ-replication devices, but active/active mode isn't
> recommended and I don't think you can connect more than two nodes this
> way.

What I am doing is using DRBD for shared disk between AZs, which (with
OCFS2) then gives me a standard POSIX file system, which I can share
inside the AZ with GlusterFS.  A bit of a duct-tape job perhaps, but
seems like it will work.  The proof will be in the testing, which I am
just building instances for now.