[Gluster-users] Brick Preference

Harshavardhana harsha at gluster.com
Thu Jun 24 17:05:31 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 09:49 AM, Andy Pace wrote:
> When is a good time to defrag? Is it something I should cron (hourly? Daily?) to make sure files are evenly distributed amongst each brick?
>
> Files on our gluster infrastructure are going to be changing very often (xen sparse image files), and the last thing I want is a brick to become full, and having to take down VM's to distribute them to a less occupied brick.

Defrag is only run when you are expanding existing subvolumes for
distribute. Expansion has a caveat since the directories will not be
distributed unless "scale-n-defrag" is run. But the files newly created
in new directories will be redistributed properly, it is just for the
older directories it won't happen.  (Directories i mean "top level"
directories).

Regards

--
Harshavardhana