[Gluster-users] Gluster+NFS as VM datastore for ESXi - issues

Harshavardhana harsha at gluster.com
Fri Jan 29 10:33:59 UTC 2010

Hi Milo,

 * replies inline *

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Milo de Vries <Milo at info.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying out Gluster Platform, so some info will be from the
> management interface. If additional data from logs is required, please let
> me know which logfiles.

When using a Gluster NFS volume as a ESXi datastore, creation of a disk file
> (vmdk) takes a considerable amount of time (with unfsd using 10-50% cpu) and
> then crashes unfsd. A reboot of the system seems necessary

We have seen crashes with the 3.0.0 release with NFS reexport, we will soon
release an update for that version where you will not face any issues with
NFS reexport.

> to restore proper operation. On a mirror volume this resulted in a severely
> corrupted volume (red status icon), a regular volume was still seen as ok
> (green status icon) after the reboot. Accessing a directory on this volume
> (through the ESXi datastore browser) again results in a unfsd crash. None of
> these crashes result in errors logged to the Log Manager, I noticed unfsd
> had crashed by looking at /var/log/messages.
>
> Has anyone successfully used Gluster+NFS as a datastore for ESXi? Which
> settings have been used for this setup?

We already have fixed this issue, please wait for an update through our GSN
which will have the fix.

Regards
Harshavardhana