[Gluster-users] stripe nfs performance

Burnash, James jburnash at knight.com
Tue Jan 19 13:52:45 UTC 2010

>From my interactions during a similar evaluation with the gluster.com folks, I've been told that striping carries a heavy performance penalty, so it was suggested that I setup using just distribute on client on top of the subvolumes.

I was also told to use the readahead and writebehind translators, as well as the iocache, locks, and posix ones (which you're probably already using).

The pertinent bit from my client config file is below:

<snip>
volume distribute
  type cluster/distribute
  subvolumes client3 client4
end-volume

volume writebehind
    type performance/write-behind
    option cache-size 4MB
    subvolumes distribute
end-volume

volume readahead
    type performance/read-ahead
    option page-count 4
    subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

volume iocache
    type performance/io-cache
    option cache-size 1GB
    option cache-timeout 1
    subvolumes readahead
end-volume

volume quickread
    type performance/quick-read
    option cache-timeout 1
    option max-file-size 64kB
    subvolumes iocache
end-volume

volume statprefetch
    type performance/stat-prefetch
    subvolumes quickread
end-volume

Hopefully this helps - I have seen a measurable performance improvement under iozone (though not bonnie++) with these translators configured.

James Burnash
Unix SA
x2248