[Gluster-users] Bonded Gigabit

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Tue Jan 5 17:00:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:39:58 +0530
Vikas Gorur <vikas at gluster.com> wrote:

> Adrian Revill wrote:
> > That sounds OK
> >
> > So if I have a client on server A and I write a file on server A,
> > would the file be copied to server B, C and D all at the same time, or
> > will the file be first copped to server B then coied to C and D in turn?
> >
> It will be written to all servers simultaneously.
>
> Vikas

Forgive my ignorance, but I doubt that.
"Simultaneously" would mean that you have parallel network paths to all
servers, then your client would be able to copy data at almost the same time.
If your network path to your servers is in fact a bottle-neck at one client
network card, then you might notice what I did, too: your servers look like
processing the data linear and not parallel. the first one shows "hd
blinking", then the second one, and so on. I already noticed that with two
servers and simple bonnie tests.

So again: are you really sure about "simultaneous" ? I'd say pushing large
chunks of data per server through a single network path cannot be called that way.

Stephan