[Gluster-users] simple 2 server replication question - how to mount for HA

Ben Blakley ben at canfone.com
Thu Dec 2 06:49:09 UTC 2010

We are setting up a redundant storage cluster with 2 servers with Gluster FS 3.1

Per the documentation here:

http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Configuring_Distributed_Replicated_Volumes

We would create a volume using this:

#gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 transport tcp server1:/exp1 server2:/exp2

Now my question is how do we mount the clients in a HA fashion so that if one of the servers goes down things stay online?

If we use this mount option:

#mount -t glusterfs [-o <options>] <volumeserver>:<volumeid> <mount‐point>

with a single server then there is an issue if that server goes down,

I understand we could point to a volume file instead,  could that volume file contain references for both servers?

#mount -t glusterfs [-o <options>] <path/to/volumefile> <mountpoint>

Should/is the replication done on the server side or the client side?  It seems it is being replicated by the server with this “replica 2” volume, so the question is how do we do the mount?

Is it possible that the volume information is synched between the 2 servers so that we can point the clients in our environment to either Gluster servers?

Many thanks,